Carbon Tetrachloride: Carbon Tetrachloride is a liquid that is both ozone depleting and toxic.
When it became apparent that carbon tetrachloride exposure had severe adverse health effects, such as causing fulminant hepatic necrosis (destruction of your liver), safer alternatives such as tetrachloroethylene were found for these applications.
Carbon tetrachloride persisted as a pesticide to kill insects in stored grain, but in 1970 it was banned in consumer products in the United States. It was previously widely used in fire extinguishers and as a cleaning agent.
In 2008, a study of common cleaning products found the presence of carbon tetrachloride in “very high concentrations” (up to 101 mg/m3) as a result of manufacturers’ mixing of surfactants or soap with sodium hypochlorite (bleach)